Sisters For Seniors.
Santa for a Sister, Mother's Day
Sisters for Seniors
Sisters for Seniors is a Gifting Program for older ladies in long term care facilities. We have been able to provide nearly 200 women with presents for Christmas, and also recognition of Mother’s Day.
To show you are interested, update your profile “I would like to be involved in:”, and add in “Sisters for Seniors”.
We recognized that many of our older ladies are forgotten on Mother’s Day, and have started to provide a small gesture of appreciation such as the rose with an organza bag with candy. It has been a very appreciated sentiment.
Santa for a Sister
December 2021: Thanks to the generous donations from our members, we were able to gift 250 deserving women. Santa's elves delivered our collection of gifts to six different nursing/rehab facilities. All the staff were very appreciative and expressed their thanks many times over. They assured us of the joy we were bringing to many women this holiday season.
Our AAUW members bring their Christmas donations to the December luncheon. The team collects, sorts and divides all items to be delivered to six facilities: Southgate, Red Cliffs, St. George Rehab, Seasons, Hurricane Health and Ridgeview. The staff at each facility gives the wrapped presents to each lady according to their needs or interests.
Cash donations are welcomed for those cannot shop, or unable to attend the December luncheon. The team determines if more specific items are needed, and uses donations as well as money dedicated in the budget to go shopping!
Below is a list of the most requested items by the Activity Directors at each facility. This list is revised every year, and distributed to Membership in November.
REQUESTED ITEMS (ONLY NEW)
- Gift bags, large and XL sizes needed….(wrapping paper is time-consuming for staff)
- not need Tissue paper at this time, we have a good supply
- Warm hats, gloves, scarves, non-slip socks
- Christmas jewelry .. no earrings
- Crossword Books (some large print)
- Word search books (large print)
- ADULT TOPIC coloring books
- Crayons or Colored pencil sets / sharpeners
- Lotions, bath gels (scented okay)
- Lap blankets, fleece throws (plush if possible)
- Jewelry!! Go thru your items for necklaces, brooches, bracelets (no earrings as they are difficult)
Some typical items that ARE NOT usable for this project
- free items everyone receives from businesses in the mail, including greeting cards and calendars
- shampoo & conditioner -- is supplied by the facilities